The Magnificent Morgan - Bray, Maynard

Log of Mystic Seaport, Vol 26, No.1.(Spring, 1974): 2-16.

Go to page:  

<< Previous    Page 4 of 8    Next >>

sliding very slowly down the side of the trench and when digging was completed on December 5th she had shifted to port about one foot and her bow was 15" lower.
At this time morning tides were running highest as a full moon was making up, and although an exuberant but predictably unsuccessful attempt was made on Wednesday night, the morning of Thursday, December 6th, was really the first time there could be any assurance of success. A fresh southerly wind blew Wednesday night and a couple of us stayed with her, sleeping in the fo'c'sle - just in case. By 3:30 A.M. the wind had abated and, as scheduled, things started happening. The Holbrooks came to get up steam to run the lighter's winch. It was raining but the cameramen came just the same. "Charlie" Andersen's deck gang began to arrive. The tide looked good: 3.5' already and an hour to go until high. We pumped her dry (not much there anyhow) and took a strain. The masthead tackles were released, freeing her from the one remaining bank of sand under her starboard bow. The tide was above where she should have floated but as yet she didn't budge. It was too dark to check her with the transit but she must have lifted and be completely afloat. Why didn't she move? Knowing that the stern was free as was always the case, I called for a line run straight abeam from her port quarter, hoping that by pulling her stern into the trench her bow would follow. Mean-while, Holbrook was "working" his winch cable by alternately 'slacking and taking up, causing the Morgan to pitch noticeably.
Suddenly she began to move without resistance both astern and to port; and from then on, it was only a matter of tending lines. She was free! Shouts of joy arose from the faithful onlookers - most of whom were here for the sixth time. The tide stick read 3' 9", the clock 4:50 A.M.

* Funding for digitization provided by: Mystic Seaport