Charles W. Morgan - Coope, Virginia T.

Log of Mystic Seaport, Vol. 32, no. 4.(Winter, 1981): 121-128.

Go to page:  

<< Previous    Page 2 of 7    Next >>

change. Sometimes change was made by cutting a dollar in four or eight pieces, to him a strange practice.

From Pennsylvania they crossed into Ohio, where Charles was impressed with the growth of population and shipping down the Ohio River, which he feared would be severe competition for the Philadelphia merchants engaged in coastwise trade. On 18 December the travelers heard of robbers on the road between Wheeling, West Virgina, and Morristown, Ohio, and Charles wrote: "I hope they will not attack us. If they do they will meet a warm reception. I find I am but a miserable Quaker rat, for though I am thoroughly convinced that to shed blood in any case is contrary to the laws of God and our Saviour, if we are attacked I would attempt to disable the robber. I am not yet arrived at that state where if I am smitten on one cheek I can turn the other."

However, they arrived safely in Cincinnati, where Charles inspected a brewery and a large carding and fulling mill. At this time he felt that few people had become wealthy by any business other than land speculation and believed that there were favorable prospects in Indiana and Illinois, which made him think seriously of purchasing land in that part of the country. He reflected: "With respect to this whole western world, a few years ago a howling wilderness and now a great part bursting under the hand of cultivation and yielding an abundant increase of all the facets of the earth. Everything declares that this is to form a very important section of the Union and is to add much to the future greatness of America, which no doubt is to be the greatest nation on earth if only they will pursue that liberal policy which will draw to our shores the oppressed inhabitants of kingdoms and subjects of oppressive despots and kings."

After several days in Cincinnati, where they enjoyed a good hotel and met congenial people, Charles and Richard entered Kentucky, where Charles expressed deep feelings which he held throughout his life. "We have now entered into a country where that abomination of reproach to the civilized world is tolerated and caused to a great extent. I mean slavery, and I feel a sentiment of horror and disgust in approaching these scenes of wretchedness."

One aspect of traveling that concerned Charles was that many Sundays passed with no opportunity to attend religious services, but in Lexington, Kentucky, he went to the Episcopal Church. Afterwards, he stated his preference for silent worship "whose prayer is that of the soul and not that printed form to be pronounced by all, and producing a discordance and confusion which appears like anything but religion to me."

From Kentucky they traveled through Virginia where they sadly separated to take different routes. On 12 February, at Harper's Ferry, Charles mentioned an extensive armory of the United States. "...There are some noble buildings and upwards of three hundred workmen employed manufacturing the instruments of murder and destruction of the human species." Eager to return home he completed his travels as fast as possible, arriving in Philadelphia on 17 February 1818.

On 1 November 1818 Charles started keeping a diary. "It is my intention to note all events here that are at all of an interesting nature-it is also my intention to note my ideas and reflections on all occasions, also my state of mind." At this time he was living in a boardinghouse on Arch Street in Philadelphia, and his unmarried sisters were living in the home of his older brother Thomas and his wife Hannah. Apparently, his parents had died, since he never mentioned them. However, he did refer to a settlement of accounts with uncle Waln, who may have been executor of the estate.

Charles was engaged to marry Sarah

* Funding for digitization provided by: Mystic Seaport