Title: Mosaic pin |
Accession Number: 2005.34.406
Category: CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Materials: stone; metal
Description: Pin; Mosaic pin; from the collection of Captain Richard C. Mears (1829-1899); pin made of black glass, oval in shape, with a mosaic pattern on the top depicting an image of a building; around the edge of the pin is a gold-colored rope-like border; hinged pin backing, with a small straight pin attached to main pin by a thin chain; etched faintly on the back "m"; pin came in a small square box covered in blue silk; interior of box is white satin, and printed in top portion is "51,RUE DE PARIS/ F.RÖTIG/ HAVRE"; F. Roetig worked in Le Havre as a maker of watches and chronometers; in 1869 he obtained a patent for an improved design of pocket watches, calling himself "constructeur de chronomètres" and "inventeur" to advertise his watches. Roetig was a "Horloger de la Marine" in Le Havre and also sold watches to American merchants.
Mystic Seaport Image ID m433716 Information regarding reproductions